Alki Summer Streets 2012
Walk. Bike. Shop. Breathe. Play.
Sunday, May 20, 2012
11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tell your neighbors, tell your friends! Sunday, May 20 is a party along Alki! Participate in the West Seattle 5K Run/Walk in the morning, sponsored by West Seattle High School PTSA. The race starts at 9:20 a.m. Pre-registration is suggested.
The Party starts at 11 a.m.:
- Race in Waste Management’s recycling relays
- Learn about SPU’s Puget Sound Starts Here storm drain markers
- Experience the “Art Demo Block” brought to us by Alki Art Fair, including watercolors with Barbara Bennedsen; button making, origami and paper arts, painting and drawing, mobiles and nature crafts with Theresa Anderson and Young at Art staff
- Build your own community out of newspapers!
- Check out the artists and musical performances at Alki Arts gallery (see schedule below)
- Make flowers with Flowers of Lesotho
- Decorate bikes with Cascade Bicycle Club and participate in SPD’s “Kid’s Bike Parade”
- Participate in Detective Cookie’s Youth Chess Club games
- Get your helmet fitted and bike tuned up
- Try Coastal Surf Boutique’s street bowling
- Visit the Seattle Humane Society’s MaxMobile pet adoptions
- Talk to neighborhood Police Officers during one of the “Officer Chats”
- Watch a self defense, martial arts demo by Alki Taekwondo
- Get in on a 3on3 Battle on the Blacktop game
- Learn about local organizations, such as Seal Sitters and the SW Historical Society/Log House Museum
- Try stand up paddle boarding from the beach
- The Seattle Fire Department will make a special stop with their fire truck
- Support the local restaurants and businesses
Help us build Seattle’s Healthiest Canned Food Pyramid started with donations from Metropolitan Market and PCC Natural Markets, benefiting the West Seattle Food Bank in front of Tully’s Coffee. Drop off your cans ahead of time at Tully’s (2676 Alki Ave SW), Safeway (2622 California Ave W), or QFC (4550 42nd Avenue Southwest).
Performances at 61st & Alki:
11:00 a.m. Hollow Earth Radio DJ’s
11:30 a.m. Sarey Savy – singer
12:10 p.m. Hollow Earth Radio DJ
12:40 p.m. Mighty Tiny Band
1:20 p.m. Hollow Earth Radio DJ
1:50 p.m. Choro Tocando – Brazilian choro music
3:00 p.m. Hollow Earth Radio DJ
Other Activities (at various locations):
11:00 a.m. Youth Chess Games (Kids Zone)
11:30 a.m. SPD Officer Chat (Kids Zone)
12:00 p.m. Fire Engine 29 Visits Alki (Art Demo Block)
1:00 p.m. Puget Sound Starts Here/Storm Drain Markers
1:30 p.m. Bike Decoration & Helmet Fittings (Bike Lane)
2:00 p.m. SPD Kids’ Bike Parade (Bike Lane)
2:30 p.m. Alki Taekwondo Demo (Performance Area)
3:00 p.m. SPD Officer Chat (Kids Zone)
Seattle Humane Society’s MaxMobile Adoption Center (Bike Lane)
Make sure to visit the “Art Stop” at Alki Arts gallery:
Musical Lineup: Artist demonstrations:
11:00 a.m. Morrison Boomer Patri O’Connor
1:00 p.m. The Brian & Janie Show Christine Sharp
3:00 p.m. Joe Ross Jim Gerlitz
See you in the street!
Summer Streets are not possible without volunteers! Be a ‘promotion organizer’ building buzz before events, a ‘creative organizer’ of event activities like bike parades and interactive art, or volunteer the day of helping hundreds of Seattleites enjoy Summer Streets. Email Summer.Streets and let us know how you can help.
From 9 to 11 AM:
Alki Avenue SW will be fully closed from 63rd Avenue SW to the Don Armeni Boat Launch Ramp for the 5K run/walk. All parking will be restricted from 63rd to 56th and along the waterside from 56th to the boat ramp.
From 9 AM to 5 PM:
Alki Avenue SW will be fully closed from 63rd Avenue SW to 56th Avenue SW for the 5K run/walk and then the Summer Streets Party. Parking will be restricted on both sides of the street during this time.